Dec 13, 2010

Nauseous or Nauseated?

What's the difference between the word 'nauseous' & 'nauseated'? They are often used interchangeably, but they actually differ in meaning.
  • Nauseous = nauseating = causing nausea = memualkan.
  • Nauseated = feeling sick = rasa mabuk / nak muntah.
So, it's incorrect to say, "I'm nauseous," (unless of course, if u really are disgusting. hehe). I'm nauseous = saya memualkan.

Correct usage:
  • I feel nauseated. (Saya rasa mabuk / nak muntah)
  • There's a nauseous/nauseating odor in the room. (Ada bau yang memualkan dalam bilik)
Same goes to "I'm bored." Some Malaysians say "I'm boring" when they actually meant "I'm bored." Unless...

******

Also, in pronouncing certain words with the letters 'mb' like bombing, plumber, climbing, the correct pronunciation (not pronounciation) is to make the 'b' silent.
  • Bombing = bomming
  • Plumber = plummer
  • Climbing = climing

No comments: